Welcome! We are glad that you wish to join the Newcomers Club of Greater Chapel Hill, Inc. Here are instructions on how to navigate through the Member Signup steps. These instructions will explain both Family (two-person) and Individual memberships. Please read these instructions carefully. If you have questions, contact us by using the Contact Us tab; someone will get back to you and help you with the registration. We look forward to seeing you at one of our events soon!
How to Join the Club
(print this page for reference)
- First review the Membership Basics Tab, in which we briefly outline information about the Club such as goals, benefits, eligibility, rules, and annual dues.
- When you are ready to begin the signup process, click on the Member Signup Tab on the left of the screen. You will be taken to a screen that looks like this:
- Select one of the Membership Types from the Drop-down menu. Note that Half-Year memberships at a reduced rate are available; select a half-year membership if and only if you join the club between January 1 and April 30. After you select a Membership Type, the text under that box will change to explain more about the type that you have selected; see the example below:
- After selecting the appropriate Membership Type for your situation (Individual or Family, Half Year or Full Year), and after telling us how you heard about us, click the Next button on the bottom right of the screen. This will take you to a screen where you will enter your personal information.
- The information that you enter next is for the "Primary Member." If you are joining as an Individual, you are the Primary Member. If you are signing up as a Family (two people), one of the couple will be the Primary Member, and the spouse or partner will be an additional member attached to the account of the Primary Member.
- Does it make a difference which person in a couple is designated as "Primary?" In two respects it does. First, when it is time to renew your membership, only the Primary Member will receive the renewal notice. Second, if there is a Club event that you plan to attend as a couple, the Primary member can register both of you for the event. With the current version of our software, it is not possible for the spouse or partner to register the Primary Member for a Club event. Other than these two items, it makes no difference which person in a couple is designated as Primary; both will have full functionality within the system. Note: if at any time in the future you wish to switch these roles and designate the other member of the couple as the Primary Member, it can easily be done.
- After the Primary Member for a couple has completed this sign-up process, then he or she will need to log on to the system and then add their spouse or partner as a second Club member; this is explained in more detail below.
- You must complete all of the required fields (marked with a red dot) for the Primary Member before continuing.
- Some of our members (such as those who live in Fearrington) have a mailing address (for the postal service) and a street address (for GPS systems, etc.) that are different. If you are in this situation, please enter your street address in the Address Line 1, and the mailing address in the Address Line 2.
- Clicking the Next button will take you to Step 3 of 6 where you can add information about the neighborhood in which you live, when you moved to the area, and from where you moved. All this helps to connect you with others in the club, so please fill it in as shown in the screen below:
- Click the Next button. You will be taken to Step 4 of 6 where you can indicate your Interests. Checking the box for an Interest will automatically sign you up for invitations related to that interest. If you aren't sure, you can always change this yourself online later in your Member Profile. The Primary Member and the Spouse/Partner Member in a Family have individual Interest profiles.
- After you have completed your Interest Profile, click the Next button on the bottom right of the screen. This will take you to Step 5 of 6 where you can set your User Name and Password. See the Tips for how to choose a strong password. You can change your User Name and Password again later if you decide you don't like your first selection. Having a User Name and Password allows you to enter the Member's Only area of the website and enjoy all the information the website has to offer.
- Click the Next button to be taken to Step 6 of 6 where you will see a summary of your membership information and the fees associated with your selection:
- Click the button for Finish and Proceed to Payment on the bottom right of the screen. This will take you to the last screen where you can enter your credit card information to pay for your membership. Your credit card data is secure and managed by the ClubExpress servers; it is not available to anyone else in the club. The club strongly encourages you to handle financial transactions by credit card, but in the event that this option does not work for you, you can mail a check to the club at the address in the Contact Us tab of the website. Note that if you mail a check, your membership will not be activated until your check is received. Our post office box is checked for mail only periodically.
- Congratulations! If you made your payment of dues by credit card, you are now a member of the Newcomers Club of Greater Chapel Hill, Inc. If you sent in a check to cover the dues, you will need to delay using the system until you receive a notice that your membership has been activated.
- Once you are an active member, if you signed up for a Family Membership, you should immediately logon the Members-Only area of the website using your User Name and Password. Once in the Members-Only area, click on the black Profile link in the upper left of the screen. Then click on the Additional Members in Your Account link (see below):
- You should now add your spouse or partner by clicking the Add button on this screen. Once you add your second family member, a separate Interest Profile can be completed for that person.
- If you have questions, please use the Contact Us tab on the left of the site to contact a club member who will get in touch with you to help.
- Once you have signed up, our Membership VP will be in contact with you to help you get oriented to the club and its activities. We welcome you, and we hope that you have a wonderful experience in Newcomers!